ISTE National Technology Standards act as our guidelines as we plan, communicate, create, research, and think critically with technology.
The ISD Technology Department supports the use of technology by providing the following:
- Comprehensive and rapid technology support for students and teachers
- Leadership and guidance in the thoughtful use of technology with a commitment to constantly improving the way we work and learn
- Access to a range of technology
- Reliable and up-to-date systems
- Systems that promote communications and transparency
- Training opportunities that promote ethical and effective use of technology
ISD follows the ISTE National Standards for technology. These standards can be found at ISTE's Web Site. All students follow the Computer Use Rules found in their handbooks.
We seek to meet or exceed these standards through a series of technology courses and by integrating technology into course work.
Elementary students attend computer classes in ISD’s Elementary Computer Lab. These classes are meant to develop student computer skills. Teachers also integrate computers in classrooms during certain units. In August 2013, students will also be using iPads for some classroom projects.
Beginning in August 2013, Middle school students will take a series of technology classes in addition to integration that has already been happening in their classes. The new technology courses are meant to broaden their definition and deepen their understanding of technology.
All High School students are issued a school device for use with their classes. These devices have been laptop/tablet PCs. Beginning in August 2013, 9th graders will be using a Lenovo Tablet II to support their learning. In addition to using these devices regularly in their classes, students take a mandatory 9th grade Digital Citizen’s class and then have the option of taking several technology-related electives.
What sorts of technology are available at ISD:
- A number of mobile computer carts that are used in grades 1-8
- A cart of iPads used in the Elementary School
- Computer Labs in Elementary and Upper School (20 iMacs in each)
- Four classroom computers in grades one to five
- A full-time Technology Integration Specialist for Upper School and a part-time Specialist for Elementary (August 2013)
- SmartBoards and projectors in all teaching areas
- Set of 20 laptops for Library (August 2013)
- New Middle School Design Center (opens August 2013)
- 1:1 Program for grades 9-12
- Extensive software and on-line data base resources
- Digital cameras and voice recorders (available in Library)
- On-line grades for grade 6-12
- Email accounts for grades 4-12