The ISD Mathematics curriculum aims to open the minds of students to the beauty and utility of mathematics by providing skills in mathematical modeling and problem solving. Students build a foundation of number and spatial sense upon which the concepts of geometry, algebra and number theory will be developed. The Mathematics curriculum focuses on problem solving and conceptual understanding within real and imagined situations and provides students with multiple methods of representation and communication of processes and results. Students practice using creativity responsibly, by finding multiple alternative solution methods, using available technologies and finding ways to apply these methods to authentic and relevant problems for the modern world.
We believe that effective mathematics education is:
- relevant, both personally and globally,
- integrated and applicable across disciplines and in ordinary real life situations,
- coherent, through spiraled instruction that is built on previously mastered concepts and skills,
- engaging, using hands-on, developmentally appropriate content and methods to help learners build understanding,
- rigorous, developing core mathematical strengths,
- explorative, using open-ended tasks to encourage multiple strategies for problem-solving,
- collaborative, allowing students to work together in creative teams,
- inspirational, by empowering students to reflect on the beauty of the form and relationship of numbers and operations in the world around them.
- How is math relevant to me?
- How is mathematics used to describe our world?
- How can we be strategic mathematicians?
- How can use concrete and abstract reasoning in math?
- How do we use numerical logic to make and justify conclusions?
Numbers and Operations
- What do numbers convey?
- How are numbers related to one another?
- Why do we need mathematical operations?
- How do we use mathematics to describe patterns?
- How can we use patterns to make predictions?
- How can we use algebraic expressions to represent and solve problems?
- How can we use mathematics to describe spatial relationships?
- How can geometrical models be used to solve problems?
- How can we use mathematics to describe objects?
- How can measurement help us solve problems?
Data Analysis, Probability & Statistics
- How can we use mathematics to describe situations and events?
- How do we use data to make predictions?