Physical Education and Health
The ISD Physical Education & Health curriculum aims to promote lifelong health and fitness learning. The sequential educational program provides students with the knowledge, skills, fitness and attitudes necessary to lead a healthy lifestyle. Our guided physical education and health experiences incorporate ISD’s CORE Values of creativity, open-mindedness, responsibility and excellence to ensure the healthy development of each individual.
We believe that effective physical education and health teaching and learning is:
- relevant to the learner, encouraging active participation in life-long fitness and health,
- engaging, providing opportunities to become responsible and independent decision makers,
- coherent across developmental levels, ages, grades, and divisions,
- comprehensive, incorporating physical, emotional and mental health topics,
- active and hands-on, insuring the achievement of the basic skills of fitness, while catering to all needs and abilities,
- challenging to all learners, on a personal level,
- collaborative, through the emphasis on cooperative team play and respect for others.
- What does it mean to be mentally and emotionally healthy?
- How do I make good decisions to keep myself safe and healthy?
- How do healthy communication skills and relationships contribute to our well being?
- Why is it important to eat healthily and be physically active?
- How can the abuse and misuse of substances be harmful to my health?
- How does being competent in physical activity lead to a healthy lifestyle?
- How can the understanding of movement concepts, principles, strategies and tactics enhance performance?
- What can I do to be physically active, and why is it important?
- What are the health and fitness factors that benefit fitness?
- How do I interact with others to demonstrate respect to self and my peers?